This declaration affects motor carriers and drivers providing direct assistance in support of relief efforts related to the COVID-19 public health emergency. They are granted emergency relief from 49 CFR § 395.3, which is the maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles.
The Emergency Declaration No. 2020-002 provides regulatory relief for commercial motor vehicle operations providing direct assistance in support of emergency relief efforts related to COVID-19 and is limited to transportation of
- livestock and feed
- COVID-related medical supplies and equipment
- vaccines and medical supplies
- supplies such as masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap, and disinfectants
- food, paper products, and other groceries for emergency restock
- gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, heating fuel, etc
- including propane, natural gas, and heating oil.
To be eligible for the exemption, the transportation must consist of qualifying commodities and necessary to the immediate restoration of those essential supplies.